DISCRIMINATORY ACT. Unidentified men sealed off the alley (left) and the front yard (right) of front-liner Junmar Gonzaga with a steel road barricade and yellow ‘caution’ tape in Barangay Lanao, Kidapawan City since Friday (July 3) after he came in contact with a coronavirus disease 2019 patient from the city earlier this week. The provincial Inter-Agency Task Force on Covid-19 has called for an investigation on the incident. (Photos courtesy of North Cotabato IATF)
KIDAPAWAN CITY – The North Cotabato Inter-agency Task Force on Covid-19 (IATF) is calling for an investigation on the reported discrimination against a front-liner here.
Dr. Philbert Malaluan, provincial IATF spokesperson and concurrent provincial board member, called the attention Friday of the National IATF, the Department of the Interior and Local Government, and the provincial government, including colleagues at the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP), to look into the incident.
“I will sponsor a resolution at the SP to immediately convene as a committee of the whole to investigate the incident”, Malaluan said.
Malaluanwas dismayed when a house of a front-liner, Junmar Gonzaga of Barangay Lanao, was cordoned with yellow “caution” tape and road steel barrier since early Friday.
Gonzaga had direct contact with the 20-year-old coronavirus disease (Covid-19) patient in the city recently.
Gonzaga is a member of the North Cotabato Task Force Sagip that is responsible for fetching locally stranded individuals (LSIs) and returning overseas Filipinos (ROFS) struck in various parts of the country due to Covid-19 community quarantine restrictions.
“Even if there was no positive Covid-19 resident inside that house, cordoning was done without permission as his wife was still inside the house when it happened”, Malaluan said.
In a separate statement, Gonzaga expressed his disappointment from being discriminated against, which he said has heavily affected his wife.
“Unidentified individuals cordoned our house with my wife was inside,” he said.
Gonzaga tested negative for the virus after swab tests on him a few days ago.
“In spite of what happened I’m still and will continue to work at the provincial government being a front-liner”, he said.
Barangay Lanao chairman Alberto Canonoy has expressed his support for the planned investigation. (PNA)