MANILA – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday said seven more Filipinos contracted the dreaded coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) abroad, bringing the total number to 8,980.
“Today, the DFA reports only seven new confirmed cases from one of the countries in Europe, no new recoveries, and one new death due to Covid-19 in the Middle East,” the DFA said in a statement.
The confirmed cases are mostly concentrated in the Middle East/Africa region with 6,483 in total, followed by Europe with 1,070, Asia-Pacific region with 729, and the Americas with 698.
Based on its latest data, the death toll is now 634 or about 7 percent of the total infections.
Meanwhile, the active cases stand at 3,025 – at least 128 are undergoing treatment in the Asia Pacific, 505 in Europe, 2,273 in Middle East/Africa region, and 119 in the Americas.
The department noted a “slight change” in the figures in the Americas after a previously reported case has been ascertained to be a Canadian citizen and no longer a Filipino.
The July 16 DFA data showed 120 active Covid-19 cases among Filipinos in the region but this went down to 119 in its recent update.
The DFA also noted that the overall recoveries at 5,321 now comprise almost 60 percent of the coronavirus tally since last week. (PNA)