By Elami Go
MANILA – The camp of Sen. Manny Pacquiao on Saturday confirmed that talks for a possible tiff between the Filipino boxing icon and former UFC champ Connor McGregor are ongoing and that the two camps are only finalizing now the details for a fight next year.
The news on the Pacquiao-McGregor fight first came from McGregor’s agent Audie Attar, who claimed that the fight will likely happen in the Middle East sometime in 2021.
This was followed by a press statement from Pacquiao’s special assistant Jayke Joson confirming the news.
“We won’t deny it. In fact, our lawyers are finalizing all the confidential details, but both fighters are getting ready for this one epic last boxing fight,” Joson said.
At the same time, Joson revealed that a portion of the senator’s earnings from this blockbuster fight will be used to fund efforts against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
“As what our senator says, all his fights are dedicated for the welfare and unity of all Filipinos, including this one,” added Joson.
He also assured Filipinos that despite the advanced talks with McGregor, Joson assured the Filipino people the senator will remain focused on his job as a legislator amid the health crisis.
“Our beloved Senator doesn’t want to talk boxing for the meantime since we are in the middle of the pandemic and this is not the right time for it,” Joson continued.
“His main focus right now is to help here and there, providing relief, shelter, money, and food, among other necessities,” he added.
Pacquiao’s last fight was against Keith Thurman in July last year to become the WBA “super” welterweight champion.
for his part, McGregor stopped Donald Cerrone the last time he saw action in the UFC on January 19 this year. He had his first pro boxing match in 2017, losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr. via technical knockout.