DILG Secretary Eduardo Año. (File photo)
MANILA – Interior Secretary Eduardo Año on Thursday said he would review the report of the Sorsogon City police that cleared former University of Santo Tomas (UST) coach Aldin Ayo of allegations of violating quarantine protocols in putting a training bubble for his team.
“I have not yet received the report of the PNP and the endorsement of (Sorsogon) Governor (Francis) Escudero. Initially, I respect the findings of Sorsogon LGU (local government unit) and the PNP (Philippine National Police) but I will still review the report and I’ll confer also with (Chairperson) J. Prospero de Vera of CHED (Commission on Higher Education),” Año told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) when sought for a comment.
He added that the findings would help a lot in clearing the issue.
The DILG is a member of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), which was formed to craft policies on the government’s fight against the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.
According to the police report dated Sept. 23, which was only released on Wednesday night, no team practice took place in Ayo’s residence in the said city.
It added that the members of Ayo’s team only did farm training in his piggery and farm.
Agricultural activities are allowed in all community quarantine classifications based on IATF-EID guidelines.
The report also cited a clause in the joint administrative order for sports practices amid the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic that athletes can train “within their areas of domicile.”
The alleged bubble resulted in the departure of key players of the UST Growling Tigers who managed to enter the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men’s basketball finals last year.
Despite Ayo’s resignation as head coach, the UAAP still slapped him with an indefinite suspension for the alleged bubble. (PNA)