Former Senator Bongbong Marcos
By Junex Doronio
STRESSING THE IMPORTANCE of education, former Senator and 2022 presidential material Ferdinand “Bongbong” Romualdez Marcos Jr. on Sunday, October 11, said that the government and the private sector should find ways to provide allowances to students and teachers for their online classes.
“Kailangan siguro makahanap ng paraan na mabigyan ng allowance (sa prepaid load) hindi lang ang mga teacher kundi pati ang mga estudyante,” Marcos said as he lamented that a P300 prepaid load will not last long.
He cited that the Department of Education has resorted to “blended distance learning” for the school year 2020 — 2021 following the directive of President Duterte’s directive of “no vaccine, no face-to-face classes.”
The public school opening of classes, however, was moved from June to August, and then to October 5 this year due to the apparent unpreparedness of the DepEd.
Earlier, several groups and lawmakers have called on DepEd to delay the opening of classes, as more time is needed to prepare the transition to the so-called blended distance education system.
It can be noted that only 23 million public and private schools students have enrolled for the school opening. This is 4 million lower than last year’s 27.7 enrollees.
“Importante na magaling, mahusay at marunong ang ating mga kabataan,” Marcos emphasized.
The only son and namesake of late President Ferdinand E. Marcos also pointed out the importance of a speedy and reliable internet connection in the “post-pandemic world” not only for the education sector but also for commerce.
“Kailangan matiyak na lahat ng bata — gumagamit man ng online, TV, radyo, o modular na sistema – ay makakasabay sa kanilang mga klase habang sarado pa ang mga paaralan,” Marcos further stressed.
The former senator, who co-anchored with popular radio personality Erwin Tulfo, recently distributed some computer tablets to public school students.