Covid-19 recoveries in Eastern Visayas now 5.2K

Covid-19 recoveries in Eastern Visayas now 5.2K

COVID-19 SURVIVOR. A one-year-old girl and her mother return to their home village in Barugo, Leyte after recovering from coronavirus disease (Covid-19) on Oct. 21, 2020. The Department of Health on Friday (Oct. 23, 2020) reported that 5,260 Covid-19 patients in Eastern Visayas have recovered. (Photo courtesy of Barugo local government)

TACLOBAN CITY – Some 5,260 coronavirus disease (Covid-19) patients in Eastern Visayas have recovered from the illness, the Department of Health (DOH) reported on Friday.

The number represents 83.96 percent of the region’s total confirmed cases since March at 6,265, DOH Eastern Visayas head Minerva Molon said in a statement.

“Most patients here were asymptomatic and managed in community isolation units or temporary treatment and monitoring facilities of their respective local governments, while almost 6 percent of the regional total were hospitalized, including those severe and critical cases,” Molon said.

To date, the region has 946 active cases, with the addition of 116 new infections from the 1,154 laboratory results released Friday night.

Leyte recorded 48 new cases, 13 in Alangalang, 12 in Kananga, eight in Baybay City, five in Isabel, three in Dagami, two in Babatngon, and one each in Inopacan, Jaro, Mahaplag, Matag-ob, Palo.

Northern Samar has 41 new cases, 35 in Catarman, three in Gamay, and one each in Catubig, Las Navas, and Palapag.

In Samar, 21 more have been infected – 11 in Catbalogan City, two each in Calbayog City, Gandara, San Jorge, and Villareal, and one each in Almagro, and Marabut.

Tacloban, the regional center, and the cities of Maasin and Borongan in Southern Leyte and Eastern Samar, respectively, each has two new cases.

“We have noted an increase in cases compared to last week. Most new cases are close contacts of confirmed cases that is why we continue to advocate the strict practice of minimum health standards to break the chain of transmission,” Molon said.

Meanwhile, the regional office also reported that six more patients died due to complications, bringing the region’s total deaths to 59, of which 58 are Covid-19-related and one due to vehicular accident.

The newly reported deaths include a 68-year-old and 31-year-old male patients in Palo, Leyte; a 54-year-old and 47-year-old male patients from the towns of Jiabong and Gandara, both in Samar, respectively; a 66-year-old female in Sogod, Southern Leyte; and a 46-year-old man from Tacloban City.

These patients died from Oct. 14 to 19, Molon said.

The health department also identified 27 communities in the region as coronavirus hotspots, due to clustering of cases or having at least three cases for the past two weeks.

These are in Calbiga, San Jorge, and the cities of Catbalogan and Calbayog all in Samar; Laong in Northern Samar; Lawaan in Eastern Samar; Macrohon and Maasin City in Southern Leyte; Kananga, Alangalang, and Tolosa in Leyte; and Tacloban City.

Molon urged the public to avoid social gatherings as investigation showed that most cases reported in the past week were acquired in closed settings.

“Let us avoid birthday parties and other social gatherings to break the chain of transmission. This is not only the fight of doctors and other front-liners, we should play our part by simply following the minimum health standards,” she said.

The health official also advised the public to communicate with relatives and friends to cope with confusion and fear caused by the pandemic.

“Do not isolate yourself. Spend time with your loved ones. Talk about what you feel and seek advice from people you trust,” she told reporters.

The regional health office here also offers free counseling through its mental health hotline numbers 09474238423 and 09665316464, available from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PNA)

Leave a Reply