COTABATO CITY – The military here has lauded members of the Regional Peace and Order Council-12 (Soccsksargen) for declaring all local terrorist groups (LTGs) operating in Central Mindanao “persona non grata” or unwelcome.
This came after RPOC-12 released on Sunday a resolution urging all local government units in the region to support the government’s campaign against loose firearms that is seen as a great help in the reduction of crime and violence in the communities.
“Saboteurs of peace are not welcome here,” Maj. Gen. Juvymax Uy, commander of the Army’s 6th Infantry Division (ID) and member of the RPOC-12, told reporters here on Monday.
In particular, Uy was referring to the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, the Dawlah Islamiya, and the communist New People’s Army that have all been involved in various atrocities in the region, especially in remote areas.
Last week, a combined unit of police and military troopers neutralized a Dawlah Islamiya sub-leader and five of his followers in Polomolok, South Cotabato.
In a statement, RPOC-12 head Sultan Kudarat Governor Suharto Mangudadatu lauded the government troops for a job well done on the particular operation.
“We are in support of this program because we shun violence and extremism,” Mangudadatu said.
Uy said the military, as part of the regional security sector, also urged all barangay officials to issue village-level resolutions unwelcoming the LTGs in their respective areas.
The 6ID covers the provinces of Maguindanao, North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, South Cotabato, and parts of Sarangani and Lanao del Sur in its area of operation. (PNA)