BUTUAN CITY – The movement and entry restrictions in the province of Surigao del Sur have been suspended, based on the order of Gov. Alexander T. Pimentel.
Pimentel issued an executive order earlier this month extending the restrictions until Nov. 15 amid the increasing number of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in the province, particularly in the cities of Tandag and Bislig.
“There is no need to extend further the restriction of movements of individuals within the province,” Pimentel said in his directive issued and effective on Sunday.
To revitalize the province’s economy, the governor also allowed all businesses to resume operations, subject to the guidelines set by the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.
He also clarified that local government units (LGUs) in the province may declare granular lockdowns in case of an increase of Covid-19 cases.
“In case of new infections and local transmission, LGUs may, at their discretion, declare lockdowns or impose restrictions in the affected areas to contain the transmission subject to IATF guidelines,” Pimentel said.
As of Sunday (Nov. 15), Surigao del Sur registered 124 Covid-19 recoveries out of the 167 total cases. Eight fatalities have been recorded since the pandemic began in March.
At present, the province only has 35 remaining active cases. (PNA)