Police still clueless over NBI counter terrorism chief’s fatal shooting inside his office

Police still clueless over NBI counter terrorism chief’s fatal shooting inside his office

By Jebrail Israel

MANILA – Authorities investigating the death of the head of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Counter-Terrorism Division said they are still ‘clueless’ what led to his fatal shooting Monday night right inside the NBI-CTD office Taft Avenue, Manila.

Manila Police District Homicide Department identified the victim as 49-year-old Raoul Manguera who accordingly suffered a gunshot wound on the stomach and was subsequently pronounced dead on arrival that night at a nearby hospital authorities said Tuesday, 08 December 2020.

Responding police claimed Manguerra was found at around 11:39 p.m. slumped inside his office with a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

It was his driver, a certain “Bert,” and a casual employee known only as “Dads,” who immediately responded to the crime scene after they heard a gunshot inside the victim’s office.

MPD Homicide chief Police Captain Henry Navarro said they could not zero in on the possible existence of a gunman who might shot at the victim as the NBI was doing its internal investigation when the incident happened.

“Nung nagpunta kami sa NBI hindi kami pinapasok kasi they are doing their internal investigation. They are allowed naman later,” Navarro said.

 “Whatever reason, kung ano nangyari kung suicide ba ‘yan, nag-accidental firing o binaril ba ‘yan, wala pa kaming alam,” he added.

On the police report, it was mentioned that the victim was suffering from a stage 3 a colon cancer.

It was also learned from Navarro that the victim’s family members “opted to let the NBI do the investigation.”

Meanwhile, the agency said it mourns with the family of Manguerra even as it also ordered an investigation and ordered a lockdown in the NBI office.

“The NBI is in a deep state of mourning. We condole with the family, relatives and friends of Chief Manguerra,” NBI spokesman Ferdinand Lavin said.

“The Director (Eric B. Distor-OIC) has ordered a thorough investigation into the incident, including a lockdown on the NBI premises immediately after the incident,” Lavin added.

The spokesman also said a final report on the incident will be provided to the working media anytime soon. (AI/MTVN)

Leave a Reply