COTABATO CITY – North Cotabato Governor Nancy Catamco and Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) 12 (Soccsksargen) Director Felizardo Gacad Jr. on Friday afternoon issued a cease and desist order (CDO) against illegal mining activity in Barangay Don Panaca, Magpet, North Cotabato.
Both officials signed the joint order following the discovery of illegal mining activity inside the Mt. Apo protected area last week.
Catamco said an investigation being carried out by the provincial government, the MGB-12, and the local environment office of Magpet seeks to find answers on the mining tunnel discovered in Don Panaca.
“Caring for our environment is everyone’s business. We all know that this is a shared responsibility,” she said.
Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu earlier directed the MGB-12 to seize “tools and equipment, the mined mineral, and equipment at the mining site” but no operator or miner was found when environment officials raided the area last December 8.
At least 28 sacks of ore were recovered.
The MGB and provincial officials noted that no license has been issued allowing the “Minahang Bayan” or Small-Scale Mining Contract anywhere in Magpet. (PNA)