GENERAL SANTOS CITY – The city government has tapped community stakeholders here as the “new front-liners” in the continuing fight against the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
Dubbed “BIDA KaBarangay Kontra Covid-19,” Mayor Ronnel Rivera said Monday the move is part of the local government’s fresh strategy to contain the local transmission of the virus in several barangays.
Rivera said the initiative gives more responsibility to residents in the monitoring and enforcement of minimum health protocols and control measures against Covid-19.
It also seeks to foster greater cooperation and support between the government and its partners from the private sector, he added.
Rivera said BIDA stands for “barangays coming together;” “ipadayon ang (sustain the) innovations,” “daghan (more) private companies using the city’s contact-tracing application,” and action from families, action from communities, and action from officials.”
“BIDA KaBarangay simply means every one of us is responsible in reminding each other to comply with the necessary protocols and make sure that we are properly traced in case of disease transmission,” he told reporters.
He said barangays and communities are tasked with expanding the campaign on the compliance health protocols such as wearing face masks and face shields, regular hand washing, maintaining proper personal hygiene, and observance of safe physical distancing.
The city government mandates the wearing of protective face masks and safe physical distancing through several ordinances, which set fines of PHP2,000 to PHP3,000 and community service of three to nine days for violators.
The mayor said the initiative also enjoins residents and other concerned stakeholders to continue adopting innovations in their homes, workplaces, and public spaces to help contain Covid-19.
Residents should make it a habit to never leave their houses without their QR-code cards to ensure faster and effective contact tracing in case they are exposed to positive patients, he said.
“We must continue to unite our actions to keep our communities protected from another surge of Covid-19,” the mayor added.
Covid-19 cases in the city have been on the downward trend since last month, with the active cases dropping further to 90 as of Sunday night from 113 a week ago.
The recorded infections, which peaked from late August to October, have reached 1,240 with 54 related deaths, although 1,096 of the patients, or about 88 percent, have already recovered. (PNA)