By Brenda del Rosario
MANILA — The Department of Health (DOH) has on Thursday recorded 1,470 new cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), raising the country’s total to 454,447.
Quezon City topped the list with 74 new cases followed by Rizal with 64 more infections, Makati, 58; Davao City, 55; and Quezon, 46.
The number of Filipinos who have recovered from the virus increased to 419,902 with the addition of 633 recoveries while 17 fatalities were recorded that would increase PH’s death toll to 8,850.
As of now, the county has 25,695 active cases or 5.7 percent.
They are currently undergoing treatment or quarantine, according to the DOH.
The country’s positivity rate stands at 6.3 percent.
The OCTA Research Group has projected that the number of COVID-19 cases in the country could reach almost 500,000 at the end of the year.
“If the situation worsens a little bit, we might get closer to 500,000. But right now, that is not the case,” University of the Philippines mathematics professor Guido David said in a television interview.
Worldwide, cases of the killer disease already hit the 74.14 million mark including 1.64 million fatalities.
DOH press conference
On the same day Thursday, the DOH also held a press conference today led by Health Secretary Francisco Duque.
Duque reminded everyone that the virus is still here and we should remain cautious and vigilant. As we celebrate this holiday season, the health chief emphasized the importance on our safety and the safety of everyone around us.
DOH admitted a continuous growth of cases in Metro Manila, signaling the start of a surge. Nine cities are now at moderate risk compared to last month when all cities were at low risk. The average daily attack rate in all NCR cities is also higher than the national average.
’We have witnessed what a spike in cases might mean to us—the extensive lockdowns and how it has affected our families, our healthcare workers, the small businesses and large enterprises alike, and how it almost, if not completely, paralyzed our economy. We do not want that to happen again. Ang laban pong ito ay hindi kakayanin ng gobyerno at ng sektor ng kalusugan lamang. Kailangan po namin ang kooperasyon ng bawat mamamayan. In our own ways, we can stop this surge from happening,” said Duque.
Meanwhile, the coronavirus vaccine developed by biotechnology company Moderna could now receive emergency-use authorization according to US top infectious-disease specialist Anthony S. Fauci.
This transpired after the announcement of authorized vaccine from Pfizer-BioNTech that are now being administered to front-line health-care workers.
However, it was also reported that an unidentified health-care worker in Alaska had a serious allergic reaction after receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. (AI/FC/MTVN)