Victims of Paniqui brutal murder finally brought home

Victims of Paniqui brutal murder finally brought home

By Glen S. Ramos

PANIQUI, Tarlac – The bodies of the two victims killed by PSSg. Jonel Y. Nuezca of the Paranaque City Crime Laboratory last Sunday afternoon, December 20, 2020, has finally been brought home to their house in Purok 2, Barangay Cabayaoasan in Paniqui, Tarlac from the mortuary at around 7:30 p.m. on Monday.

The two identified mother and son victims were Sonia F. Gregorio, 52, years old and Frank Anthony R. Gregorio, 25 years old and both were residents of the barangay.

Sonia was survived by her husband and 6 children while Frank was survived by his wife and a 1-year-old baby girl.

The incident of the fateful afternoon of December 20, 2020 was recorded by Sonia’s granddaughter.

Frank, along with his relatives were having a drinking session under a tree located at about 50 meters from their house. During their spree, they agreed to test their newly assembled “boga” and fire some shots.

A “boga,”as it came to be known, is made sawed off PVC pipe cannon loaded with denatured alcohol and ignited by a trigger mechanism connected to a lighter which then cause a booming sound.

It is banned by the Department of Health in 2006 for the injury it causes to the user due to the risk of blast or burn injury.

According to the granddaughter, after firing a few rounds, Nuezca arrived with his wife and daughter (video on hand recording the incident).

He then went straight to the place where Frank and his relatives where and confiscated the “boga” and punch him in the face which brought the latter to the ground.

Relatives of Frank intervened and persuaded Nuezca to leave while leading the victim to their house while pacifying him.

Nuezca was just about to leave their compound but due to the continues shouting and provocation of the victim’s son, he went back and grabbed (Frank) by his short who is beside her mother at the time trying also to pacify him while Nuezca saying, “mayabang ka! aarestuhin kita!”

The mother (Sonia) then embraced her son, protecting him and not letting go while Nuezca still pulling Frank away from their house.

Heated arguments ensued between Nuezca and the two victims, which also involved the wife and daughter of the former as seen on the viral video that has been in circulation social media sites since Sunday, led to the cold-blooded shooting of the Gregorio’s.

One of Sonia’s daughter recalls Nuezca walking normally back to their house as if nothing happened, while holding his daughter by the shoulder.

After a few minutes, Nuezca was seen by two barangay officials leaving his house on board his motorcycle.


During yesterday’s press briefing at the office of Paniqui Police Chief Lt Col. Noriel Rombaoa, he stated that what triggered the incident was a land dispute between the two families.

“Meron syang (Nuezca) binili na lupa kay Sonia at nagbigay ng Php40k para sa downpayment ng pagpapatitulo sa lupa at hindi naibigay kay Nuezca yung titulo na matagal na nyang hinihingi sa biktima. At ang alitang ito na nagbunsod ng sunod-sunod na away sa pagitan ng dalawang pamilya marahil ang isa sa mga nagtulak sa kanya upang magawa nya ang karumal-dumal na krimen noon Linggo ng hapon.”

According to the husband of the victim, Nuezca filed a complaint for estafa against her wife (Sonia) at the Fiscal’s Office in Tarlac City a couple of years ago.

The office of Justice Aladdin Bermudez who handled the case said it was dismissed due to lack of evidence and non-compliance on the part of the complainant (Nuezca) for failure to attend in some of the hearing dates.

Sonia’s husband, Florentino Gregorio said they have already given back the P40k down payment months before Nuezca filed for an estafa case as in the barangay hall as witnessed by barangay officials, thus the reason for the dismissal.

“Para wala na pong away at matigil na sya (Nuezca) sa ginagawa nyang pananakot at panggugulo sa amin. Hindi na nga kami kumikibo kahit nabakuran, napasementuhan at nalagyan na nya ng gate ang lupa kahit hindi pa ito nababayaran.”

“Tungkol naman sa titulo ay ang opisina ng surveyor na si Engr. Alex Lamorena ang naglalakad at hindi pa nga natatapos,” he said.

One of the barangay officials (who refused to be named) disclosed that Nuezca’s problem is his right of way, as his house is located in between houses and not one of his neighbors would want to sell a portion of their land for his use.

“Hindi po kasi maganda ang ugali nya at lahat ng kapitbahay nya kaaway nya pati mga byenan nya at kahit asawa nya. Naririnig ng mga kapitbahay nila ang madalas na sigawan sa pamamahay nila,” she narrated.

“Dapat nga siyang magpasalamat kay Sonia dahil sya lang ang pumayag na magbenta ng lupa sa kanya para magkaroon sya ng daanan pero malaki pa rin ang galit nya sa pagkakatalo nya sa kasong isinampa nya dahil parang napahiya sya dito sa barangay namin.”

“Mahilig mag-file ng kaso ang mag-asawang yan. Marami silang inireklamo sa barangay pero pagdating ng hearing sa lupon hindi naman sila nagpapakita,” she added.


Paniqui Police Chief Rombaoa disclosed that Nuezca is already in the custody of Tarlac Regional Trial Court for the inquest proceedings. He was brought to Tarlac City yesterday morning. He was charged with a double murder case.

“He voluntary surrendered to Rosales Police Station and was later turned-over at Paniqui Police station at around 8:25 p.m. of December 20, 2020 for proper disposition and filing of appropriate charges.”

“Incidents such as this must always be applied with Maximum Tolerance. Pwede naman syang tumawag sa amin at kami ang reresponde sa reklamo nya lalo na at off-duty sya at naka-civilian pa. Pangalawa ang bahay nya nasa likod lang ng barangay hall nila, pwede syang magfile ng reklamo sa barangay para sila ang rumesponde.”

“We do not condone such violent acts of our policemen. We are sworn to protect civilians at all times and maintain peace and order in the community,” he stressed.

Members of the Regional PNP Internal Affairs also arrived on Monday to investigate the incident. They said that Nuezca will undergo investigation and due process before he will be dismissed from the service.

Mayor Max Roxas of Paniqui, Tarlac, in his statement yesterday, condemned the murder and already sent support to the family of the victims by shouldering the expenses of the funeral service. (AI/MTVN)

Leave a Reply