MANILA – Mayor Benjamin Magalong has declared that the celebration of the annual Panagbenga Festival in Baguio City which is held every February is temporarily cancelled.
The mayor said that the festival, which is led by the private sector could possibly be held in April or May depending on the decrease of COVID-19 cases and if the situation will improve despite the new coronavirus variant.
“Minarapat naming kanselahin na rin dahil kailangan mas maingat tayo dahil napakataas nga yung transmissibility rate,” Magalong said in an interview.
“Tumataas din ang aming kaso as an offshoot to the holiday season. Mabuti na lang na mas mahigpit ang ating precautionary measures.”
There are 474 active cases in the city according to reports as of 6 p.m., last Saturday, Jan. 16. The total number of cases is 4,449.
Magalong added that there will be no more parade should the celebration pursue this summer.
“Very subdued na yung ating pag-hold ng Panagbenga Festival. Wala na rin ang mga parada,” he said.
The City of Pines continues to receive tourists up to 1,200 a day but there are only 600-800 arrivals during weekends and 500 during weekdays, the mayor said.
They did not also hold the Panagbenga Festival last year due to the COVID-19 threat.
One thought on “Baguio mayor cancels Panagbenga Festival this February”