LAOAG CITY – The offices of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Ilocos Norte were placed on lockdown effective Monday as its more than 100 employees and officials underwent reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test.
Dr. Josephine Ruedas, provincial health officer of Ilocos Norte, in a telephone interview, said these employees are considered primary contacts of one of the secretaries of a provincial board member who was confirmed positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) on Saturday (Feb. 20).
“Should they test negative or not, all of them have to complete the 14-day quarantine period,” Ruedas said, noting the life-saving importance of self-quarantine when a person was exposed to a person who contracted the virus.
It was learned that IN-C767, a 62-year old provincial government employee from Barangay 29, Santo Tomas here, was previously exposed to IN-C759, who is her daughter-in-law. Both patients are symptomatic and currently isolated.
As of this posting, Ilocos Norte has logged a total of 25 active cases with 736 recoveries and four deaths. There are four areas in Laoag and Pasuquin that are on lockdown and these are being monitored by members of the Philippine National Police as well as the Barangay Health Emergency Response Teams.
Meanwhile, in preparation for the rollout of Covid-19 vaccines, the Provincial Health Task Force is currently conducting a full-scale vaccination simulation exercise in various parts of the province.
On Tuesday (Feb.23), Ruedas said at least four teams will be deployed here to do the vaccination drill. (PNA)