NegOr still on alert despite ‘Auring’ shifting track

NegOr still on alert despite ‘Auring’ shifting track

DUMAGUETE CITY – The provincial government of Negros Oriental and the different local government units (LGUS) through their Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Offices (DRRMOs) continue to remain alert even as Tropical Depression Auring has changed its path, veering away from most of the Visayas region.

Adrian Sedillo, executive officer of the Provincial DRRMO, in an interview Monday said only a few “insignificant” events in relation to “Auring” were reported in the province on Sunday through initial reports from the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) showed that the tropical depression was tracked to be moving towards the Visayas from Mindanao.

Sedillo said “Auring”, the first typhoon to hit the country this year, is unpredictable and its movements kept changing since it entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Wednesday last week.

He said it became stationary for about two days over Mindanao before making its way across the country.

“Auring” made landfall on Monday over Batag Island in Northern Samar.

Although not directly in the path of the typhoon, Negros Oriental was inundated by rains on Sunday due to the storm’s huge cloud band, Sedillo said.

Negros Oriental was among the areas that the state weather bureau placed under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 1 over the weekend but it was lifted at noon following the 11 a.m. weather advisory from PAGASA.

In its incident report, the PDRRMO said flooding was reported in Barangay Banilad here, and power outages in some parts of this capital city.

The Negros Oriental Electric Cooperative II (NORECO II) on Sunday evening scrambled to restore power in the Banilad-Bajumpandan and nearby areas after a fallen pole cut off power supply to many households.

Electricity was restored the following day.

Sedillo said many of the province’s major rivers and waterways swelled due to heavy rains.

Philippine Coast Guard-Dumaguete commander Jannsen Benjamin said sea travel was suspended over the weekend but resumed Monday afternoon following the lifting of the weather bureau’s storm signal. (PNA)

Leave a Reply