Former Republican US President Donald Trump.
Sourced from the net by Tracy Cabrera
WASHINGTON D.C. — An optimistic former United States President Donald Trump advised his fans and supporters to watch out for his comeback to social media as he plans to launch his own platform within the following two or three months.
The former US chief executive was suspended from Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites after the January 6 attack on Capitol Hill, which reportedly was triggered by Trump’s goading of protesters to act in his behalf and disrupting the joint session of the US Congress assembled to count electoral votes to formalize the triumph of Trump’s rival Joe Biden in the presidential race.
According to one of the former president’s senior advisers Jason Miller, who was Trump’s spokesman during the 2020 election campaign, Trump will be re-entering the social media space with a new platform of his own that would “completely redefine the game.”
Miller provided no further details, however, while no other comment was immediately available from officials in the Trump Organization.
Twitter last week said it would seek public input on when and how it should ban world leaders, saying it was reviewing policy and considering whether the leaders should be held to the same rules as other users.
Twitter, Facebook and others have been under scrutiny for the way they handle accounts of politicians and government officials after their ban of Trump for inciting violence.
Facebook, which indefinitely suspended Trump in January, has asked its independent oversight board to decide whether the ban should stand.
Trump’s Facebook account was suspended indefinitely on January 7 after he reportedly incited his followers to attack the US Capitol the previous day. Six people died in the ensuing riots.
Facebook chief-executive-officer Mark Zuckerberg said at the time that “the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service . . . are simply too great.”
“We believe our decision was necessary and right,” Facebook vice president Nick Clegg added in a separate statement.
“Given its significance, we think it is important for the board to review it and reach an independent judgment on whether it should be upheld,” Clegg pointed out.
The Oversight Board, established last year, is intended to provide an appeals process for Facebook’s content moderation decisions. The Oversight Board took its first six cases in December. The board’s decisions can’t be overruled by Zuckerberg or anyone else at the company.
Despite this, Trump has reportedly enthused that there would be no problems in his reentry in social media using his own platform.
“I shall return,” the Republican stalwart stressed. (With additional information from Renato Avenido)