SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique – The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has found 118 stores in four Antique towns which temporarily halted selling pork-based products from outside Western Visayas.
The monitored stores as of March 12 are in the municipalities of San Jose de Buenavista, Sibalom, Tobias Fornier, and Anini-y, said Glen Fernando, DTI Antique trade and industry specialist, in an interview on Monday.
The stores withdrew the pork-based products from their shelves in support of the province’s campaign against African swine fever (ASF).
“The store owners were found to be compliant with the campaign to make Antique ASF-free,” he said.
Fernando added that DTI is part of the ASF Task Force chaired by Antique Governor Rhodora J. Cadiao so it has included in its regular price monitoring of basic and prime commodities since February 1.
“So far there had been no more pork-based products such as Pork Knorr Cubes and canned pork and beans being sold in the stores,” he said.
The store owners had also been furnished a copy of the Provincial Ordinance Number 2020-242 prohibiting the carrying, transportation, shipment, distribution, storing, trading, marketing, and sale of pork products including but not limited to canned goods and food items containing pork from places outside Western Visayas.
Also banned is the shipment of live pigs, boar semen, pork outside of the region.
Meanwhile, Dr. Marco Rafael Ardamil of the Provincial Veterinary Office said with their ongoing checkpoint at the Iloilo and Aklan province borders, they have also noticed that the delivery vans are no longer transporting pork-based products to the province.
During the first week of the border checkpoints on February 22, several delivery van drivers were reprimanded for violating the ordinance. (PNA)