WPP witnesses OK despite death of staff member

WPP witnesses OK despite death of staff member

MANILA – Department of Justice (DOJ) secretary Menardo Guevarra on Thursday assured all government witnesses under the Witness Protection Program (WPP) are safe even as one personnel died this week to complications arising from the Covid 19 virus.

“The others (program personnel and clients) are safe,” he told newsmen.

Guevarra said the 54-year-old fatality was among the 17 WPP personnel who tested positive for the virus and the second DOJ worker to pass away due to Covid-19.

A female employee also died on February 7 in a hospital.

DOJ Undersecretary Emmeline Villar said there have been 68 confirmed Covid-19 cases among DOJ workers since last year.

Of the total, 50 were confirmed this year, with 47 recorded as active infections as of Wednesday.

Also on Wednesday, a commercial establishment adjacent to the DOJ, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court compound along Padre Faura in Manila compound was cordoned off following the declaration of a granular lockdown by the local government, leaving only a grocery store open. (PNA)

Leave a Reply