MANILA – The local government of Taguig on Monday assured its residents’ food packs will be distributed during the March 29 to April 4 enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
Taguig Mayor Lino Cayetano, who met with his officials and support teams on Sunday night hours before the ECQ started, said the distribution will continue even if the strictest quarantine classification has been lifted.
“Naghahanda ang inyong pamahalaang lungsod para matiyak na maayos ang pagpapatupad ng ECQ. Huwag matakot o mangamba. Muling magbabahagi ang inyong pamahalaang lungsod ng Stay-at-Home food packs sa bawat pamilyang Taguigeño. Magtutuluy-tuloy ang ating pamimigay ng food packs kahit matapos na ang tinakdang panahon ng ECQ (The city government is preparing to ensure proper implementation of the ECQ. Don’t be afraid or apprehensive. We will once again distribute Stay-at-Home food packs to every Taguigeño family. We will continue to distribute food packs even after the end of the ECQ period),” Cayetano said in a statement.
“Kung maari ay pakihintay lamang sa inyong mga tahanan ang mga kawani na magbabahay-bahay para ihatid ang inyong food packs. Hindi madali ang ganitong gawain kaya hinihingi namin ang inyong pasensya at pang-unawa (If possible, please wait at your homes for the door-to-door staff to deliver your food packs. This task is not easy so we ask for your patience and understanding),” he added.
As of Sunday, the city government reported a rise in Covid-19 recovery tally to 13,697 after 196 recovered from the disease.
There were also 122 new infections, bringing to 14,013 the number of cases in Taguig. Currently, 131 active cases are being monitored. A total of 185 have so far died.
A total of 126,761 reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction tests have also been conducted.
Department of the Interior and Local Government Undersecretary and spokesperson Jonathan Malaya also encouraged all local government units to provide food packs to their constituents affected by ECQ.
“We are encouraging all LGUs to give assistance to their constituents. I have talked to some mayors in the NCR Plus bubble area. Some gave rice, others cash or vegetables or other relief goods,” he said in Filipino during the Laging Handa press briefing on Monday.
“The national government, as far as I know, and other agencies like the Budget department are looking for other ways to extend assistance.”
Malaya reminded the public that the ECQ implementation is strict and the general rule is to stay at home, work from home and avoid mass gatherings.
“It was a lot different last year. We didn’t have enough isolation centers then, no protocols, no action plan. We’re more prepared now that’s why we are allowing skeleton workforce and limited transportation, but we still have curfew hours,” he stressed.
The police also advised on Sunday that for their own good, non-Authorized Persons Outside Residence must stay home as much as possible to decrease their chances of getting the coronavirus disease 2019.
Lt. Gen. Cesar Hawthorne Binag, commander of the Joint Task Force Covid Shield, said there is no need for travel passes as identification cards or certificates to prove employment status will suffice when passing through checkpoints.
He said quarantine passes will depend on village ordinances. (PNA)