Bacolod City Gov’t Center grounds closed for a week

Bacolod City Gov’t Center grounds closed for a week

BACOLOD CITY – Mayor Evelio Leonardia ordered the closure of the Government Center grounds for seven days starting Monday night as part of the response to the rising cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in the city.

“This is just a preventive measure. This is not a lockdown. We don’t want to go back to what happened before especially now that cases in the country have also increased,” he said in a video message.

On Monday, the Department of Health-Western Visayas reported 31 cases in Bacolod, including 30 local cases and one authorized person outside residence.

“If we look back even just a week ago, we have recorded 24, 20, and 25 cases a day, which has not happened for a long time,” Leonardia said.

The highest number of cases in a day logged by Bacolod was 40 on Nov. 8.

Likewise, active cases have already reached 198 as of Monday, after a low of 24 last month.

“For almost five months the cases have tapered down. On the basis of the latest figures registered, there is a strong indication there will be a spike. Though we want people to come here, let’s avoid it first because of the current situation,” the mayor said.

Leonardia called anew for cooperation among the people of Bacolod to stop the spread of the virus.

“We hope that everybody will cooperate. To put a stop to Covid-19, each one should have a contribution. Please continue to strictly follow health protocols. Avoid social mixing with others. Socialize only with your own family members,” he added.

Last week, the city government had discouraged residents from attending social gatherings or dining out with people not part of their household, and not to hold social gatherings with more than 10 attendees. (PNA)

Leave a Reply