Presidential Spox Harry Roque
By Amado Inigo
MANILA — The enhanced community quarantine for the National Capital Region and underlying provinces has been extended for one more week amid the continuing spike in Covid-19 cases.
This was announced by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque late Saturday saying the decision was made in an effort by the national government to try to bring the cases down under the strictest quarantine regime.
Aside from the capital region, Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, and Laguna, otherwise known as “NCR Plus,” will be under ECQ until April 11.
The DOH, Roque said, recommended the extension of ECQ in ‘NCR Plus’ for another week although, “ideally,” it would normally last for two weeks to be able to see critical results on the number of COVID-19 cases and the country’s health system.
Malacanang previously described the ECQ extension as the government’s “absolute last resort,” while keeping the balance between COVID-19 cases low and preventing people from famine for the lack of income.
Budget Secretary Wendel Avisado said the government will only be giving out a one-time P1,000 assistance to every poor resident in ECQ areas, which local governments can give “in-kind or in cash.”
The amount will not exceed P4,000 per family he said. (AI/MTVN)