By Amado Inigo
MANILA — Strict community quarantines imposed by the Duterte administration in Metro Manila and four other underlying provinces are showing signs of good results.
After hitting a record high of 15K+ single-day cases, it’s now slipping back and on Monday, the Department Health registered but 8,355 positive cases of the coronavirus.
And the strict enforcement coupled with a no-nonsense adherence to quarantine protocols, the number is expected to come down further in the next few days.
Along with nearby provinces Cavite, Laguna, Rizal and Bulacan, the National Capital Region is under extended enhanced community quarantine until April 11, 2021.
Nevertheless, the 8,355 additional coronavirus cases, pushed the country’s accumulated total beyond the 800,000th mark.
It now sits at 803,398 total infections since the outbreak in March last year even as PH’s active cases were reported to be at 143,726 or 17.9% of the total.
Following a record heals of over 40K a day earlier, recoveries were pegged at 145 that shored up the number of survivors from the killer disease to 646,237.
The country’s tally of fatalities is now 13,435 in total after the DOH reported 10 more patients succumbed to the virus.
In other development, Johnson & Johnson of the United States has already applied for Emergency Use Approval for its single-dose COVID-19 vaccine in the Philippines.
It is now under strict evaluation FDA chief Eric Domingo said adding that J&J filed the EUA application last March 31.
In what could be a very grim projection, the UP-based OCTA Research group claimed that PH may hit the 1 million mark of coronavirus cases by end of April.
In an interview, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Duterte government already hit rock bottom as it has no longer a source for further financial if and when the ECQ currently imposed in NCR Plus is re-extended anew.
A key to this, however, Roque explained is for Congress to go on a special session for a supplemental budget. (AI/MTVN)