CEBU CITY – The provincial government of Cebu has expanded its food security program that will now include all public elementary and high school campuses.
Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia, on Thursday, led the launch of “SugBusog sa Eskuwelahan Program”, tapping the schools in promoting backyard gardening to combat hunger amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.
Garcia said the program is an off-shoot of the main initiative, the “SugBusog: Sugboanong Busog Luwas ug Himsog” that encourages backyard gardening in households at the height of the health crisis last year.
“As you gave probably learned the SugBusog program was conceptualized and first implemented during those dark times a year ago when we were jolted out of our normal lives,” she said.
To promote productivity, she said all schools will compete with each other for the school district-level recognition as best backyard garden and the winner for the school district-level will then compete in the legislative district-level award.
Those who will win in the legislative district level will then compete for the provincial award, she added. There are seven legislative districts in Cebu province.
There will be additional points for every school that can seek technical assistance from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) for processing of their harvests as well as those that can plant herbs and medicinal plants, Garcia said.
She said the legislative district that will win the over-all award will get an infrastructure project to be funded by the provincial government.
She also enjoined municipal and city agriculturists to assist in the proper way of doing the backyard gardening in schools.
Department of Agriculture (DA) in Central Visayas regional executive director Salvador Diputado, who attended the launching at the provincial capitol, said the agency will provide the seeds, native chicken, organic fertilizers and farming tools to be distributed to the schools. (PNA)