GenSan shuts down 2 bars over health protocol violations

GenSan shuts down 2 bars over health protocol violations

GENERAL SANTOS CITY – The city government temporarily closed down two popular bars over the weekend amid an intensified crackdown against business establishments not complying with the health protocols against the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

Geraldine Zamora, head of the business permits and licensing division, said Monday the closure orders against Pulse 808 Super Club in Provido Village and Maldita Resto Bar were for violation of the minimum health standards and the mandatory curfew.

“They continually violated our regulations despite being issued with official warnings during inspections in the past weeks,” she told reporters.

Zamora said City Administrator Arnel Zapatos reiterated the warning against the non-compliance with the health protocols and curfew in a recent virtual meeting with bar owners and operators.

She cited the mandatory wearing of face mask and face shield by customers and employees, observance of safe physical as well as the curfew and liquor ban in establishments from 12 midnight to 4 a.m.

“They’re taking the situation for granted as if Covid-19 is afraid of them. Then blame the government when problems emerge,” she said.

Zamora said they will continue to monitor the operations of local bars, resorts, and other related establishments to prevent them from becoming spreaders of the disease.      

She said they are currently verifying reports that some beach resorts are allowing overnight stays, which violates the prevailing curfew.

The local government closed down a beach resort in Barangay Tambler last April 19 for holding an event that was not approved by the City Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Diseases.

The city’s borders were closed down anew for one month starting May 1 based on Executive Order No. 21 due to the increasing Covid-19 cases in the area.

On Sunday, the City Health Office recorded 15 new infections, bringing the total number of cases in the city since last year to 2,497, with 91 related deaths and 2,248 recoveries.

It listed some 158 active cases, the second-highest in Region 12 (Soccsksargen), with 40 of the patients admitted in six hospitals and the rest under close observation in various isolation facilities. (PNA)

Leave a Reply