SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique – An investigation is being sought on the mishandling of the cadaver of a coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) fatality left at the hospital morgue for nine days in Antique.
Joshua Samillano said they requested Governor Rhodora J. Cadiao to pursue a thorough investigation as to why the cadaver of their father Nolasco Samillano, 55, who died April 23 was left decomposing at the morgue of the Angel Salazar Memorial General Hospital (ASMGH).
“We thought all the while that the cadaver of our father had already been buried until only such time that a nurse from ASMGH called my younger brother last May 1 to claim it,” he said in a phone interview on Tuesday.
He said their entire family members were placed under quarantine right after the death of their father.
The deceased, a tricycle driver, was admitted at the ASMGH morning of April 23 thinking that he was only suffering from pneumonia.
However, he was confirmed positive for Covid-19 through an antigen test and passed away in the afternoon of the same day.
The young Samillano added that they thought that as a protocol, a Covid-19 patient should be immediately buried or cremated, but his father was only buried last May 2 at the public cemetery here.
Cadiao, in a virtual press conference on Tuesday, said she was disappointed with the way the cadaver was handled by the ASMGH staff.
“I want to find out why there were lapses that happened,” she said.
The governor said an investigation would be conducted and let those responsible for the incident face the consequences.
Dr. Leoncio Abiera, Jr., provincial health officer, in the same press conference, said the protocol should have been that the cadaver should be buried within 12 hours.
“Since the cadaver was placed on a double bag, however, there was also no noxious effect,” he said.
Meanwhile, the family of Samillano is asking for food supplies as they are under quarantine until May 8.
“My wife, children, and younger sibling are right now under home quarantine. I am not able to ply my tricycle because I am also under quarantine,” he said. (PNA)