LAOAG CITY – The city government of Laoag has locked down its public market and commercial complex after three vendors tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
Mayor Michael M. Keon said Wednesday he ordered the lockdown of the public market and commercial complex for five days starting Wednesday to facilitate contact tracing.
“The lockdown shall be a ‘no in, no out’ policy. The contact tracing team is now on its course to effect immediate contact tracing,” said Keon as he reported almost all vendors and staff of the public market will undergo swab testing pursuant to the 500-meter rule.
The city night market which resumed last March 5 is also suspended until further notice. Since the start of the pandemic, this is now the second time that the Laoag public market was closed to prevent the further spread of the virus.
For a market vendor like Romani Andres, he said in a radio interview that the five-day closure of the public market is a big loss to them but they have no other choice but to obey the law.
On May 4, the Laoag City Health Office reported 12 new Covid-19 cases in addition to the 118 active cases.
So far, Ilocos Norte had recorded a total of 1,984 cases since the pandemic started last year, of which 528 remain active.
The death toll had climbed to 15, following the confirmation of new Covid-19 variants, according to health authorities. (PNA)