TACLOBAN CITY – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in Eastern Visayas has already distributed PHP3.15 million emergency subsidy to replacement beneficiaries under Bayanihan to Recover as One (Bayanihan 2).
The 426 recipients are the replacements of the original beneficiaries who were found to be ineligible to receive the grant.
Each recipient got PHP5,000 cash aid during the distribution that started last month, Joshua Kempis, DSWD Eastern Visayas disaster response management division information officer, said on Wednesday.
“Those in the list of replacement beneficiaries were endorsed by the concerned local government units. Ineligible recipients returned the cash to the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office for distribution to others who are qualified,” Kempis said in a phone interview.
Of the 426 beneficiaries, 239 of them are from Samar, 85 from Leyte, 58 from Southern Leyte, and 44 from Biliran.
The DSWD is eyeing to give cash aid to all 697 replacement beneficiaries in the region by the end of the month. The names were endorsed by local government units before the submission deadline on March 18 this year.
Based on the original guidelines of Bayanihan 2, poor families living in areas placed under granular lockdown are eligible for the emergency subsidy. These areas are villages, blocks, zones, streets, residential buildings, or houses declared as critical zones.
The declaration is from the Department of the Interior and Local Government and with concurrence from the regional inter-agency task force.
Also qualified are recently returned overseas Filipino workers belonging to a low-income family and are physically residing in an area under granular lockdown.
The DSWD, through validation, has found 7,727 individuals in Eastern Visayas who received the cash aid but were not eligible. Returned cash from disqualified recipients has been remitted to the DSWD main office. (PNA)