Caloocan mayor Oscar Malapitan (Photo courtesy by mb.com.ph)
By Junex Doronio
June 10, 2021
CALOOCAN CITY — In what could be a desperate move by his political rivals, many residents here have decried what they call “demolition job” against Mayor Oscar Malapitan who was charged before the Ombudsman for allegedly purchasing 64,000 “unusable” tablets worth P320 million without proper bidding.
The mayor on Thursday strongly denied accusations of irregularity in the purchase of tablets given to students for their online classes.
“The complainants have been using this issue since last year to gain political points with the people of Caloocan,” Malapitan said in a statement.
It was gathered that the case was filed by Caloocan City Councilors Christopher PJ Malonzo, Marylou Nubla at Alexander Mangasar, who is from the opposition and has publicly expressed support for the supposed mayoral aspirant Rep. Edgar Erice.
“I will answer their claims at the proper forum. I am confident that the Ombudsman will see through their lies,” Malapitan stressed.
The mayor said they bought the tablets after conducting public biddings.
“Kontra sa inihaing demanda sa Office of the Ombudsman, nagkaroon ng competitive public bidding ang pagpili ng digital tablets para sa mga mag-aaral ng Lungsod ng Caloocan,” Malapitan said in another statement.
He pointed out that there are complete documents in the purchase of tablets and that the invitation to bid was published in a national daily.
“The documents will speak for themselves,” Malapitan said.
The mayor said he will file charges against his accusers after the dismissal of the case.
“Paghandaan nilang mabuti ang sagot nila dahil matapos mapawalang bisa ang kaso laban sa amin ay ako naman ang magdedemanda ng malicious prosecution at danyos perwisyo,” Malapitan said.
It was learned that Malapitan had filed cyberlibel charges back in February 2020 against five city councilors, including Malonzo, Mangasar and Nubla, for maligning the digital tablets. (AI/MTVN)