LEGAZPI CITY – As cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) continue to surge in Albay, the Provincial Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases (IATF) has extended the general community quarantine (GCQ) status to prevent further spread of the deadly virus.
Albay Gov. Al Francis Bichara on Wednesday issued Executive Order No. 22 extending the GCQ status in the towns of Tiwi, Malinao, Malilipot, Sto. Domingo, Bacacay, Manito, Daraga, Camalig, and Oas, and the cities of Legazpi and Tabaco.
On the other hand, the towns that remained under modified general quarantine (MGCQ) are Rapu-Rapu, Jovelar, Guinobatan, Libon, Pioduran, and Polangui, as well as Ligao City.
In a statement, Bichara said the amended community quarantine status takes effect July 1-15.
He said areas placed under GCQ were directed to enforce tighter health protocols such as the limited movements of people under 18 years old, senior citizens and persons with comorbidities.
Checkpoints, granular lockdowns, liquor ban, curfew, temporary closure of public parks and resorts, and a ban on mass gatherings should be carried out in cities and towns where Covid-19 cases continue to increase, the governor said.
A Department of Health-Center for Health Development-Bicol bulletin showed that as of June 29, Albay has logged 84 new coronavirus cases, pushing the total active cases to 2,171.
The province has recorded 4,347 cumulative Covid-19 cases since March last year with 2,049 recoveries and 127 deaths. (PNA)