POLO ready to help family of Filipina who died in Florida

POLO ready to help family of Filipina who died in Florida

MANILA – The government is ready to provide assistance to the family of a 69-year-old Filipina, who was among the casualties in the collapse of a condominium in Florida on June 24.

Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) spokesperson Rolly Francia said the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Los Angeles, California is ready to extend assistance to the family of Maricoy Obias-Bonnefoy.

He said the Filipina victim has no record with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).

“But even so, because she is our compatriot, our POLO is ready to help to facilitate whatever help is needed for those left behind by Mrs. Maricoy Obias-Bonnefoy,” Francia said in a virtual forum.

Francia said the DOLE expressed sympathy to the family of the victim.

“We are sympathetic. The Department of Labor extends its condolences to the family of our deceased compatriot in Florida,” he said.

Aside from the Filipina, her 75-year-old husband Claudio also died in the accident.

Hundreds are still missing while 22 were reported killed after a building in Surfside town partially collapsed last week.

An investigation is being conducted as to what caused some 55 of the building’s 136 units to collapse. (PNA)

Leave a Reply