TACLOBAN CITY – The Department of Health (DOH) is optimistic of a steady decline of new coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in Eastern Visayas in the next days due to heightened compliance to minimum public health standards and more intensified vaccination drive.
However, the DOH on Wednesday reminded the public not to be complacent since the threat of the Covid-19 surge is always possible despite a consistent decline of new infections in the past two weeks.
Jelyn Lopez-Malibago, DOH-Eastern Visayas regional information officer, said the public has become more mindful of protocols after the region noted record-breaking new cases in the second and third week of June.
“We may say that there were less (sic) super spreader events last June than in May. People became more vigilant especially when the number of cases in a single day rose to 712,” Malibago said in a phone interview.
The official was referring to the 712 new infections reported on June 20, surpassing the record of 606 new cases on June 19. These are the highest single-day number of new cases recorded in the region since the start of the pandemic last year.
The region started to see a drop in the tally of new cases starting June 21.
In the first seven days of July, the region’s six provinces have reported fewer new cases. The highest was on July 3 at 383 and the lowest was on July 6 at 130.
“We are seeing a slow decline in the number of cases and we are hoping that this will continue in the following days and week. We acknowledge the cooperation of everyone,” Malibago added.
She also attributed the declining new cases to the vaccination drive.
As of July 5, some 232,977 got the first dose of Covid-19 vaccines while 91,088 received the second dose.
As of July 7, the region has already recorded 31,658 confirmed Covid-19 cases, including 29,238 recoveries, and 399 deaths. This brings the active cases to 2,021 or just 6.38 percent of the total number of infections. (PNA)