CEBU CITY – Churches will observe a 10-percent seating capacity for churchgoers as Cebu reverts to the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).
In a statement Friday, Monsignor Renato Beltran Jr., Archdiocese of Cebu chancellor, said the new policy takes effect on Sunday.
Malacañang announced Friday that this capital city and Cebu province would be placed under MECQ from August 1 to 15, amid the spike in coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases.
“This may be increased to a maximum of 30 percent but with permission from our respective LGUs (local government units),” Beltran said.
He, however, left it to the Emergency Operations Center to decide whether to allow up to 30 percent capacity for Cebu City parishes.
He said funeral Masses are limited only to the immediate family members.
“The most important consideration, as our underlying principle in the observance of our liturgical health protocols, is our coordination and collaboration with our respective (LGUs),” he said.
In its latest bulletin, the Department of Health (DOH) 7 (Central Visayas) reported a total of 2,614 active Covid-19 cases in Cebu province, 2,496 in Cebu City, 1,164 in Lapu-Lapu City, and 910 in Mandaue City.
In August last year, the city government of Cebu, through Mayor Edgardo Labella, directed the Archdiocese of Cebu to downsize its capacity during church services up to 10 percent, following a surge in Covid-19 cases in the villages.
The archdiocesan officials immediately implemented the policy. (PNA)