By Junex Doronio
September 7, 2021
MANILA — Proving that there are no sacred cows or even special races, four Chinese drug traffickers were killed on Tuesday, September 7, in a gunbattle with authorities in Candelaria, Zambales and 500 kilograms of shabu worth P3.4 billion were seized.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Guillermo Eleazar said the sting operation in Candelaria, Zambales involved several government agencies led by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and described it as the biggest narcotics haul this year.
“This operation was a result of the whole-of-government approach in our campaign against illegal drugs,” Eleazar said in a statement.
He said the drugs, with an estimated value of P3.4 billion, were put on small boats in international waters and smuggled into the country.
The PNP statement further said that one of the men killed was identified as Xu Youha, who was “one of the key players of illegal drugs activities” in the Philippines and had been under surveillance.
It added that the buy-bust operation at a hotel in Candelaria “resulted in the death of four Chinese drug traffickers who engaged government operatives in a gun battle in a failed attempt to escape.”
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has unleashed his “bloody drug war” since he assumed office, promising but failing to eliminate the scourge of illegal drugs in six months.
Duterte has expressed interest to run for vice president in 2022 ostensibly to escape prosecution by the International Criminal Court (ICC) after human rights groups charged that tens of thousands of people were killed as a result of the administration’s drug war. (ai/mtvn)