Cebuanos rejoice over quarantine status loosening

Cebuanos rejoice over quarantine status loosening

By Junex Doronio
October 20, 202

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Cebu – Looks like the Cebuanos can look forward to a happy Christmas in a few months as the whole of Cebu, including this highly urbanized city, has been placed under Alert Level 2, which brings a loosening of current quarantine restrictions starting Wednesday, October, 20, until the end of this month.

This after the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) on Emerging Infectious Diseases expanded the pilot implementation of the Alert Levels System to cover areas outside the National Capital Region (NCR) or Metro Manila.

“It’s a welcome development, but… we still have to synthesize all reactions and insights,” Acting Cebu City Mayor Mike Rama said.

The Mandaue Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI) described the downgrade of the whole Cebu to Alert Level 2 as a major positive development for businesses as they enter the fourth quarter.

“The timing is excellent so businesses can have time to warm up and restock their inventory before the November-December buying season. It can provide the much-needed impetus to bring back some life in the business community which suffered very dismal off-take in the third quarter,” an official of MCCI said.

In a press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that starting October 20, Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City, and Cebu Province would be placed under Alert Level 2 which, among other things, would allow cinemas to reopen and expand the venue capacity of other establishments.

Level 2 status would mean expanding capacity for recreation venues and social gatherings in the case of Cebu City, which currently has a cap of 30 percent capacity for recreational venues, and 40 percent capacity for weddings and birthday celebrations.

It was gathered that as of October 17, nearly 47 percent of the eligible population of Metro Cebu had been fully vaccinated against Covid-19. (ai/mtvn)

Leave a Reply