Gordon’s website is still down after repeated cyber-attacks

Gordon’s website is still down after repeated cyber-attacks

By Ernie Reyes

MANILA — Senator Richard J. Gordon’s official website has been hit
again by a coordinated online attack for two consecutive days now.

Myke Cruz, information technology officer of Gordon’s office, reported the
latest attack as the Senate resumed its probe into alleged anomalous
procurement contracts the government has entered with Pharmally
Pharmaceutical Corporation.

“In our opinion, the timing of the outage was purposely made just as the Blue
Ribbon panel was set to resume its public hearing on the anomalous
contracts with Pharmally Pharmaceutical, the first attack being last
Oct. 4,” he said.

According to him, it was another case of a distributed denial of service (DDoS)
attack, usually requested through the dark web by malicious parties, causing the
shutdown of web services from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m on Oct. 19.

Moreover, another attack commenced at 8 a.m. today and is still down as of
press time. The website, dickgordon.ph, started to have around four
million requests per second at 8 a.m., and peaked at noon, when about
72 million requests pounded the site.

The number of unique visitors also increased exponentially to a total of 78 million
when the attack ceased at 3 p.m. Majority of the bots requesting access to the
website in last Tuesday’s attack came from the United States, Hong
Kong, the United Kingdom, Germany, and TOR browsers.

However, today’s attack was of local origin, with IP addresses of the
perpetrators located in Metro Manila, Taguig, Rizal, Paranaque, Nueva
Ecija, as well as the cities of General Santos, Cotabato, Cagayan de
Oro, Davao, Dumaguete, and Magugpo town in Davao del Norte.

The botnet owner, the brains behind the attack, usually develops malware
distributed through email or website attachments. Millions of computer owners
unknowingly host the malware, which the attacker adds to the botnet to
simultaneously make requests to the website.

Due to the number of high simultaneous requests per second, it may cause the
server to reach its computing resource, creating a bottleneck.

In his opening speech at the resumption of the Senate investigation last Oct.
19, Gordon has called out “trolls” for trooping his social media pages, leaving
choreographed remarks against him.

“Shout-out na rin po sa mga ‘trolls’ na nanonood at nagre-review ng mga script
nila. Alam po naming hanapbuhay ninyo iyan at ginagawa nyo po iyan
para kumita para [sa] inyong mga mahal sa buhay, pero sana po ay
magbagong buhay na po kayo,” he said.

The trolls have parroted Mr. Duterte’s unfounded accusations against
Gordon through similar comments and videos taken out of context
regarding previously
settled issues in the Philippine Red Cross and Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority.

Numerous sectors, mostly from the medical, academe, and business sectors,
called on Mr. Duterte to revoke its outstanding directive barring his
officials and
employees to attend and cooperate with the ongoing Senate inquiry.

Over 300 doctors, including five former Health secretaries, signed a manifesto
of support calling for transparency and accountability on the issue of alleged
government misuse of COVID-19 pandemic funds.

“We thank the overwhelming support to our investigation that has led
to the discovery of more irregularities. No website attack will deter our
efforts to run after those who engineered and perpetrated this scam,”
said Gordon. (AI/MTVN)

Leave a Reply