By Ernie Reyes
MANILA — In a Facebook post on November 9, 2021, Presidential
daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio announced that she
is withdrawing her Certification of Candidacy and will be replaced by
her younger brother and incumbent vice mayor Sebastian ‘Baste’
“Everyone expected this to happen. It is not surprising at all,”
Council for People’s Development and Governance (CPDG) Spokesperson
Liza Maza said, adding that the Duterte camp is widely-known for
employing such theatrics for their political agenda.
Last month, when there was still no clear “administration candidate”,
various groups have raised alarm on the possibility of another
substitution tactic as employed by then-presidential candidate Rodrigo
Duterte. Five senators even sought to outlaw substitution of
candidates due to withdrawal as it has been abused over the years.
Maza said that the remaining bits of integrity in the national
elections will gradually disappear if this tactic remains legal. “It
is so corrupted and it treats our voters as if they’re audiences
waiting for entertainment: the cliffhanger, the “sundan ang susunod na
kabanata”,” she said.
In unison with other advocacy groups and the civil society, CPDG urges
all progressive organizations and individuals to reject and campaign
against any attempt of the Duterte and Marcos camps to regain or
extend power in the name of democracy.
“‘Wakasan na’ and ‘never again’ was the people’s cry when the
administration entered its last year. We must remain vigilant and
proactive in opposing the restoration or extension of yet another
repulsive governance” Maza ended. (ai/mtvn)