Sen. Bong Go drops presidential bid

Sen. Bong Go drops presidential bid

President Duterte and Sen. Bong Go

By Amado Inigo

MANILA — Now it can be told.

Sen. Bong Go is now officially out of the presidential race in the May 9, 2022, national and local elections.

The lawmaker from Mindanao told reporters on Tuesday, Bonifacio Day (30 November 2021) that he is abandoning his candidacy for president, ending nationwide speculations following a meeting with provincial governors in Malacanang last week where he first hinted of dropping his presidential bid.

On that occasion in Malacanang Sen. Go said he is about to make a “supreme sacrifice” in as much as his candidacy is concerned but the administration-allied governors prevented him from announcing of withdrawing right there and then as they said they will not go back home if he’d give up the fight.

But political pundits knew better, claiming it was only a matter of time and the lawmaker will be forced to veer off from the presidential path amid poor survey results not to mention Presidential daughter Inday Sara Duterte partnered with leading presidential aspirant Bongbong Marcos and the subsequent Lakas-CMD’s endorsement of their tandem.

“Naisip ko na ay siguro hindi ko pa panahon sa ngayon. Diyos lang po ang nakakaalam kung kailan talaga ang tamang panahon ko. Ayaw ko pong lalong maipit si Presidente Duterte…” Go told reporters.

“I am withdrawing from the race. Having said this, I leave my fate to God and to the Filipino people as I vow to do my best every day to serve selflessly and tirelessly,” Go added.

The former Special Assistant to the President originally filed for vice president and later on stepped a notch higher for president soon after Sara Duterte filed for vice president as a replacement last November 15 in tandem with BBM.

This development leaves PRRD open to endorsing a new successor political observers aver.

(ai/mtvn)

Leave a Reply