CEBU CITY – The Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) announced Wednesday night the cancellation of flights, adjusting its servicing schedule due to Typhoon Odette.
Edilyth Maribojoc, the airport’s junior manager for corporate affairs of GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation, said 29 flights bound for Cebu or originating from here to different destinations in the country were affected by the changes of schedule.
Maribojoc reported that only an international flight from Cebu was canceled after Philippine Airlines (PAL) announced that PR 153 bound for Los Angeles has been rescheduled to Friday (Dec. 17) as the typhoon was expected to landfall in most of the Metro Cebu localities, including Mactan Island where the airport is situated.
At 6:31 p.m. on Wednesday, the MCIA announced only 13 canceled flights. However, in its updated advisory, the number rose to 29.
The Philippine Airlines (PAL) flights canceled were: PR 2361 – Cebu to Butuan; PR 2362 – Butuan to Cebu; PR 2364 – Davao to Cebu; PR 2314 – Cagayan de Oro to Cebu; PR 1849 – Manila to Cebu; PR 1850 – Cebu to Manila; PR 2382; Cebu to Siargao; PR 2383 – Siargao to Cebu; PR 1853 – Manila to Cebu; PR 1854 – Cebu to Manila; PR 1859 – Manila to Cebu; PR 1860 – Cebu to Manila; PR 1861 – Manila to Cebu; PR 1863 – Manila to Cebu; and PR 1864 – Cebu to Manila.
The four CebGo Airlines flights to and from Cebu were also canceled because of the typhoon. These were: DG 6925 – Cebu to Butuan; DG 6926 – Butuan to Cebu; DG 6132 – Cebu to Caticlan; and DG 6133 – Caticlan to Cebu.
Twelve Cebu Pacific flights were also canceled: 5J 559 – Manila to Cebu; 5J 560 – Cebu to Manila; 5J 597 – Cebu to Davao; 5J 598 – Davao to Cebu; 5J 569 – Manila to Cebu; 5J 570 – Cebu to Manila; 5J 563 – Manila to Cebu; 5J 564 – Cebu to Manila; 5J 557 – Manila to Cebu; and 5J 556 – Cebu to Manila.
Maribojoc also said that a PAL flight from Cebu to Los Angeles (PR 153) has been rescheduled to Friday (Dec. 17) because of the typhoon.
A Cebu Pacific flight 5J 787 which is scheduled to fly from Manila to Butuan is to be diverted to Cebu on Thursday, she said.
“We only have one diversion from Butuan tomorrow (Dec. 16). But so far, none is seeking refuge at the MCIA because the flights are canceled flights,” Maribojoc told the Philippine News Agency when asked if there are airports seeking shelter at the airport as part of safety precaution. (PNA)