NEGROS OCCIDENTAL DEATH TOLL NOW AT 28; GOVERNOR SET TO DECLARE STATE OF CALAMITY

NEGROS OCCIDENTAL DEATH TOLL NOW AT 28; GOVERNOR SET TO DECLARE STATE OF CALAMITY

By Glen S. Ramos

MANILA — The death toll in the province of Negros Occidental is now at 28 in the aftermath of super typhoon Odette last week.

As a result, the provincial government today is set to declare a state of calamity within the province to enable the local government to utilize its quick response fund.

According to the Provincial Disaster Management Program Division (PDMT), 13 persons died in Sipalay City as of December 18, 2021.

Dr . Zeaphard Gerhart Caelian, PDMT head, said that 10 of those who died got drowned in floodwaters, two others were hit by falling trees, and another died of hypothermia.
Data from the PDMT also showed that 93,696 residents were evacuated and about 1,627 houses were destroyed and 5,312 were damaged.

There are also 50 individuals reported missing in Sipalay City, 16 were already found as disclosed by Salvador Mesa III of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRFMO).

Mesa said that some parts of Sipalay are still difficult to reach for rescuers since scores of fallen trees and electric posts are blocking the roads.
He added that residents need essentials like food, water, hygiene kits, and generators as the area is still without power and communication.

“All of the city’s 17 barangays were affected by Odette, while some 7,000 houses were reportedly destroyed. All power lines are down.

NOCECO, he said estimated that power restoration could take two to four months.”

Sipalay City police chief Major James Latayon later informed that floodwaters have already subsided and that clearing operations will be started, although the main roads are already passable, he added. (ai/mtvn)

Leave a Reply