MANILA— Derek Ramsay and the artist management of GMA Network have mutually agreed to freeze the actor’s contract for the meantime, while he is not yet prepared for lock-in taping.
The hunk actor signed an exclusive contract with GMA7 on April 8, 2019. But so far, Derek has only done one TV series, The Better Woman which he teamed up with his ex-girlfriend Andrea Torres.
It was Derek who requested the network to suspend his contract for the meantime because he is still afraid to work outside as his parents are living with him.
“Freeze, suspended, it’s more like it,” Derek said in an interview about his contract with GMA7 recently.
“Yes, it’s true… na choice ko na choice ng GMA. Kasi nung inalok sa akin yung To Have and To Hold, ‘yung teleserye ni Rocco, si Carla Abellana, si Max Collins, nag-backout ako kasi my priority is my family at ang nangyayari ngayon sa COVID.
“So, naintindihan naman ng GMA yun, they respected my decision. So, nag-decide kami na i-suspend muna yung kontrata, na ready na ako magtrabaho when I feel na it’s safe na to work.”
Derek was supposed to be the leading man of the recently- concluded TV series To Have and To Hold, but he backed out due to the COVID-19 situation. He was replaced by Rocco Nacino.
He added, “Pero mukhang good choice kasi, kita niyo ngayon, record-breaking, pataas nang pataas ang number ng cases.
“Prioritize ko muna ‘yung pamilya ko. Tapos pag ready na daw ako, puwede nang i-reactivate yung kontrata.”
GMA Senior Vice President Ms. Lilybeth Rasonable confirmed Derek’s statement.
“Yes, it was a mutual decision to suspend his contract as he is not ready yet for lock-in shoots. If and when Derek is ready, we will line him up for a drama project,” Ms. Lilybeth said.
It could also be remembered that Derek and wife Ellen Adarna cancelled their planned honeymoon in Africa
He wants to focus on his family
In the past, Derek has been saying that when he gets married, he will focus on the family he is going to build and that is what he doing now with his wife Ellen Adarna.
“Di ba, sinabi ko na kapag magpapakasal na ako, that’s the time na slow down na talaga ako sa showbiz? Kasi, my priority’s really my family, di ba?
“Nung hindi pa ako kasal, alam mo, pagdating ng December, shutdown na ako niyan,” Derek related.
The actor could not assure when he will come back on television, but right now, he wants to push through with the international film which has been lined up for him since then. He could not give details but he will be working with two Hollywood actors and the whole film will be shot in Puerto Rico.
“Yes, sa Puerto Rico ang shooting na naka-schedule tentatively June or July.
“Sana hindi na ma-push back dahil sa nangyayari ngayon. Pero tentatively ang shoot June, July. Sa Puerto Rico ang shooting namin.
“May dalawang Hollywood stars dito, pero ako yung lead role dito.
“I’ll be playing yung colonel na in-charge dun sa operation ng… naalala mo yung na-kidnap na dalawang foreigner sa Palawan?
“The story revolves around the eyes of this colonel, na siya yung basically na head kung bakit na-rescue yung dalawang foreigners. Pero hindi siya nabigyan ng atensiyon. Unsung hero siya,” Derek narrated.
Apart from this international film, Derek is excited about the new construction business he just started.
“Nagpatayo ako ng construction company called Tiger Con. So, yung passion ko for building homes, well, eto na,” he said.
“May partner ako dito na close friend ko. Dalawa lang kaming mag-partner dito. And yung bahay across my house, yun ang first project namin, tapos meron akong ginagawang bahay sa isang partner ko naman sa ibang negosyo.
“So, eto yung passion ko, e. Mahilig talaga akong gumawa ng bahay, mag-design ng bahay, interior, exterior. At alam nila na sobra akong madetalyado at OC. So, I decided to make that dream come true this year,” Derek stated.
The actor said that they have already launched the project this month which make it official. They have already signed up and he is ecstatic about his new baby which will keep him busy this year.