MANILA – The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has reported that a total of 2,551,957 families have been displaced by Typhoon Odette after it ravaged parts of the Visayas and Mindanao in December last year.
In its update Friday, the NDRRMC said the figure is equivalent to 9,109,480 persons residing in 9,588 barangays or villages in the regions of Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, the Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, Caraga, and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).
Meanwhile, families sheltering in 1,106 evacuation centers were estimated at 56,763 while those receiving help outside evacuation centers were placed at 32,669, with the remainder being aided by relatives and friends.
Damaged by “Odette” were 1,497,214 houses in Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, the Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, the Davao Region, Soccsksargen, and the BARMM.
Of these, 1,134,405 were classified as damaged and 362,809 as destroyed.
Damage to agriculture was placed at PHP16.9 billion in Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, the Davao Region, and Caraga.
Meanwhile, infrastructure damage was estimated at PHP17.3 billion in Mimaropa, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Soccsksargen, and the BARMM.
“Odette”, said to be one of the strongest typhoons to hit the country in recent years, made nine landfalls between December 16 and 17 in the provinces of Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte, Southern Leyte, Bohol, Cebu, Negros Oriental, and Palawan. (PNA)