Belmonte Orders probe on QC jail riot

Belmonte Orders probe on QC jail riot

Featured image shows the Quezon City Jail grounds while the riot was ongoing

By Rjhay E Laurea

MANILA — Mayor Joy Belmonte ordered authorities to investigate the riot between rival gangs at the Quezon City Jail Male Dormitory on Friday that left one inmate dead and several others wounded.

The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) and the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) were directed by the chief executive to look into the incident that occurred in the afternoon.

“Iniutos na natin ang malalimang imbestigasyon sa nangyaring riot sa Quezon City Jail para malaman ang puno’t dulo nito (I already ordered a thorough investigation on the riot that happened in Quezon City Jail to know the root cause of the incident),” said Belmonte.

“Kailangang maparusahan ang mga nagpabaya sa kanilang tungkulin kung mayroon man, upang hindi na maulit pa ang ganitong klaseng insidente sa ating mga pasilidad (Heads must roll if there are authorities who failed to perform their duties to prevent recurrence of this kind of incident in our facilities),” she added.

Belmonte also underscored the need for the BJMP to revisit its security protocols to avoid such incidents from happening in the future.

Based on the investigation of PEMS Jimmy Sanyuran of Quezon City Kamuning Police Station 10, it was past 3 in the afternoon this Friday when a riot started in Bernardo Compound Brgy. Kamuning, Q.C.

This riot started between the groups of Batang City Jail, Bahala Na Gang and Commando, the reason behind the incident is still under investigation.

It looks like the one who died suffered from a gunshot wound in the body from a firearm called sumpak police said.

The police have yet to identify the wounded inmates and the one who died of this posting.

According to a report to QCPD Director PBGen Remus Medina, PLtCol Alex DJ Alberto, Station Commander of the QCPD Station 10, said they responded after receiving a report regarding the riot at the adjacent jail facility.
When the police arrived, the BJMP initially escorted eight inmates to the East Avenue Medical Center for medical treatment for various injuries inflicted by improvised weapons and firearms.

Around 4 p.m., two more inmates were brought to the East Avenue Medical Center (EAMC) for medical attention.

The riot was neutralized around 4:30 p.m. (ai/mtvn)

Leave a Reply