PBBM: No to rejoin ICC

PBBM: No to rejoin ICC

President Bongbong Marcos

By Junex Doronio
August 1, 2022

MANILA — With a functioning justice system and democracy, President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Monday said the Philippines “has no intention” of rejoining the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The Chief Executive also said he met last week with his administration’s legal team — Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra, Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin “Boying” Remulla, Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Juan Ponce Enrile and Foreign Affairs chief Enrique Manalo and former Palace spokesman Harry Roque, an ICC-recognized lawyer, to discuss the international tribunal’s plan to reopen its probe on the government’s campaign against illegal drugs.

“Sinasabi ngayon na itutuloy ang imbestigasyon. Eh, sinasabi naman namin may imbestigasyon naman dito at patuloy rin naman ang imbestigasyon (They’re saying now that the investigation will continue. But we have our own investigation and it’s a continuing investigation,” PBBM said in a briefing.

Some political analysts said the ICC’s move to probe the so-called “bloody drug war” is tantamount to foreign interference in the country’s internal affairs.

“Anyway, para alam natin ang gagawin natin, if we will respond, if we will not respond. Kung sakali na sasagot tayo ano ang magiging sagot natin. Possible din hindi natin papansinin dahil hindi naman tayo sumasailalim sa kanila (we have to know how to respond, if we will respond, if we will not respond. If ever we reply, what response will we give? It’s also possible we don’t pay any attention because we are not under them),” the President further said. (AI/MTVN)

Leave a Reply