By Liezelle Soriano
MANILA — The Department of Health (DOH) officer-in-charge Maria Rosario Vergeire admitted that she was not offered to be the Health Secretary of the administration.
“It was not offered. I was asked to be an OIC, and I was able to explain to them also my reservations, and he just said that just continue to do the work and we will discuss further,” Vergeire said on Thursday when asked if the President offered her the position of Health Secretary.
“I have been here for almost three decades already, and I am a career official. So kapag may term po kasi tayo, kapag ganyan, it’s only six years,” she added.
“And by the time I finish the six years, I still have years left to serve. And I want to still serve until I retire,” DOH OIC continued.
Vergeire is still waiting for the decision of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. about the matter.
He previously said that he will only appoint a Health Secretary if the situation of COVID-19 in the country returns to normal.