MANILA — Quo Vadis John?
This could already be the end of a young career in basketball for John Amores after his own school, Jose Rizal University announced on Wednesday that it has removed the embattled cantankerous forward from its lineup following last Tuesday’s melee where he attacked several College of St. Benilde players during their National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) game last week at the FilOil EcoOil Center in San Juan.
JRU’s action was made through a memo on Tuesday that the school posted to the NCAA Facebook page on Wednesday.
Earlier, JRU only slapped Amores, who lost his cool in the final three minutes of the game with the Bombers trailing 51-71, an indefinite suspension.
A second look, however, on the magnitude of the on-court melee infamously starring John Amores, apparently forced JRU officials to upgrade the sanctions earlier meted out on the former High Shool Sportsmanship awardee.
“Jose Rizal University wishes to announce, through a special board of inquiry created to look into the incidents that involved its athlete John Anthony Walker Amores, its official findings as to the extent of his liability over the said issues both as a member of the basketball team and as a student subject to the existing academic policies of the University,” the statement wrote.
“Further to our initial statement released on Nov. 9, 2022, Mr. Amores’ indefinite suspension has been upgraded to his removal from the team.”
Likewise, JRU announced the player will no longer be part of any of the University’s sports programs. He has already been stripped of all privileges afforded to him as a student-athlete.
John Amores “has also been suspended from all his academic classes and will be asked to render community service as punishment,” the school said.
The league also suspended him last week, as he punched several players of the De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde Blazers as seen on video. Two of the players have since filed charges against him. (Ismael Amigo/MTVN)