1 dead, 1.9K residents displaced in Lanao Norte flooding

1 dead, 1.9K residents displaced in Lanao Norte flooding

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – The flooding caused by the trough of the low pressure area (LPA) on Monday has resulted in the death of an individual and the evacuation of thousands in Lanao del Norte province.

Data released by Northern Mindanao’s Regional Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (RDRRMC-10) on Tuesday identified the victim as an 8-year-old girl residing in Barangay Dalama, Baroy town.

An initial report by RDRRMC-10 showed the victim died of drowning, with the Department of Health in Region 10 (DOH-10) tasked to verify other possible casualties in the province.

The province has evacuated 1,856 individuals, or 478 families as flooding occurred on Monday evening.

Tubod municipality, the province’s capital, has the most number of evacuees at 1,634 individuals or 376 families.

On Tuesday, Tubod Mayor Dionisio Cabahug Jr., issued an executive order suspending work in private and government agencies after 12 of the town’s barangays have been submerged in floodwaters.

“The local chief executive, who is also the MDRRMC (Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council) chairperson, is authorized to exercise powers and perform functions which are essential to the maintenance of peace and order, and safety of the populace, especially during disasters,” Cabahug said.

Meanwhile, parts of Misamis Occidental province have experienced anew incidents of flooding.

Local reports said floods hit once more hit Ozamiz City and Tudela town, which were both submerged in floodwaters last month. (PNA)

Leave a Reply