ISTANBUL – Rafael Nadal on Thursday said that he is withdrawing from the 2023 French Open after failing to recover from a hip injury.
“Next year I imagine will be my last. This would be my objective, to try and finish and make next year the final one of my career, at least with the hope of being able to enjoy it,” Nadal said at a press conference at his academy in Mallorca.
“I hope to be ready by the Davis Cup, and I want to play in 2024, which will be the last year of my career,” the Spaniard said.
In a Twitter post, the French Open said: “Rafa, We can’t imagine how hard this decision was. We’ll definitely miss you at this year’s Roland-Garros.”
“Take care of yourself to come back stronger on courts. Hoping to see you next year in Paris,” it added.
Nadal won the French Open last year to claim his 22nd Grand Slam singles title.
In January, the 36-year-old lost to American Mackenzie McDonald at the Australian Open, after suffering from a hip injury.
He had already withdrawn from several international events such as Indian Wells, the Miami Open, Madrid Open, Italian Open, and the Monte Carlo Masters. (Anadolu)